Tuesday 1 February 2011

Week 2 - learning curve

Yesterday was an epic failure not only on the part of the technology but also on behalf of myself. As it was pointed out to me on a long walk yesterday evening, I should be thinking that experiencing all of these issues was not a bad thing but a good thing as I am the one who is learning what it is like to a) be a student learning on-line and b) what it is like to be a disabled student learning on-line.
It was a horrible experience yesterday but after I had calmed down I decided I would contact the leader of the group and ask what things I had to do. Being a person who always like to contribute and not take a back seat it was important for me to do this as soon as possible. I also had a reply from the tutor of the course offering assistance. I am not sure it was exactly what I was looking for but that is another issue. I shall persevere and go through the group work task as best I can and take from it those experiences which will help me never to put a student in the position I was in yesterday. Several issues I have taken away are:

  1. If I am using video and calling technology the students must all have the equipment too, if they do not or it is not working then the group does not use it. One student should not be left out in any circumstances
  2. If a student is unable because of disability use any of the technology then we do not use it, or we mediate with the student how best to make it work for them. We do not leave them struggling feeling isolated and exposed.
  3. Any group work on-line must be decided by all the members of the group and not just some.
  4. No student should be made to feel on the outside of the group at any time. This is a really important issue and one that should be considered in more depth with each cohort of students.
  5. Direct access should be made for the tutor and student to solve issues immediately.
  6. Group work on-line should not be longer than half an hour. 
  7. Consider disability and on-line learning. Is it a level playing field - what about dyslexia, deaf students, blind students, how can you make on-line learning an equal platform. 

No comments:

Post a Comment