Friday 4 February 2011

Mae and the Voice of Reason today reminded me that it is best to think first and act second. So before I responded to my group on aspects of our work, I decided to take a second and see what I really thought on the subject. It is all so easy working on-line for a tutor or an assessor to comment on something and for their words or meaning to be taken out of context. By reflecting on those thoughts, even for a nano second, you can have a better decision on what you are wanting as an outcome.
Another issue I am having with the group work is I am constantly having to tame down my tutor-ness within me. I am constantly thinking about what I could do should I be the tutor or the leader of the group. Don't get me wrong I didn't want to be the leader but when a tutor goes back to being a student the tutor inside them suddenly rears it head!
One of the things that concerns me with transposing my work into on-line teaching is that I will be be to 'full on' in the discussion. I need to ensure and remind myself to take a back seat in the discussions. I know I will want to help the students and to encourage them but you have to draw the line and allow them the freedom to discover for themselves. So today I suppose I am going to back off the group work a bit, I have made some comments that could be used in the wiki design but I am not going to make any more. Not because I don't want to but I think I should take a back seat and see how it feels. As I say think first act second, or as the Voice of Reason says, Measure twice cut once...

No comments:

Post a Comment