Tuesday 8 February 2011

Reflecting on assessing the red groups work

The task this week is to reflect upon and write an assessment / feedback for the red groups work on 'should on-line learning be compulsory'. We have to take several aspects into account.

  1. Clarify what good performance is 
  2. Facilitate self-assessment 
  3. Deliver high quality feedback information‘’
  4. Encourage teacher and peer dialogue
  5. Encourage positive motivation and self-esteem
  6. Provide opportunity to close the gap
  7. Use feedback to improve teaching
(Nicol, D and Macfarlane-Dick, D (2005) Formative assessment and self-regulated learning: a model and seven principles of good feedback practice. Studies in Higher Education, Volume 31, Issue 2 April 2006, pages 199 - 218.)

I am finding providing feedback really difficult. Firstly because I am not the tutor in this instance and it is peer related assessment. This comes with many issues: I don't want to offend if I put my tutor hat on: How much do I comment on it as if it were law I could provide a long feedback assessment. Here with teaching I am in the unknown. Also if I provide criticism and feedback first, how will my group perceive me? Am I being too critical or am I being too goodie goodie? It is in my nature to work fast and get the work done, so this waiting is like a battle game for me. I am waiting to see who makes the first move and then I shall assess what they have written as feedback and alter mine to suit. Or am I selling myself out? My opinion counts. Arg.... so complicated. When you are a tutor you have the power to make the comments you need to. Perhaps that is it. I need to make the comments therefore I should. I shall ponder away some more and see what happens over the day. The deadline is tomorrow.

1 comment: