Monday 7 February 2011

Week 4: Assessements

Last weeks task was group work and we managed to finish off the task over the weekend and have now published it for the red group to see our work. We were the green group. I think the task this week is to assess each others work. But before I do that I just wanted to reflect upon the group work task.


Initially I found it an awful experience, as I could not  communicate on-line with the others, but after we got around that and other members of the team were so helpful and supportive, it because really enjoyable. Indeed addictive. There were three in particular (plus me) who contributed lots up front and I think another couple behind the scenes but given there were about 7-8 in a group (yes I am not sure how many) it was hard to see what everyone was doing unless you were very outward in your contributions on line. I think this could have problems for student group work. You may get natural leaders working away on the tasks, quickly and loudly and others working just as well but quietly. It is very hard to assess who is doing what unless you make it overtly clear in the discussions forums. I am not sure then this is an adequate way of assessing, unless perhaps you do it in smaller groups?


Today we have been asked to consider these four questions:
In deciding how you will contribute to this plenary activity, you might like to consider some of the following questions:
• If your contribution here was being assessed, what assessment criteria would you use?
• Would you look for quality or quantity of postings?
• How would you assess contributions to a collaborative online task?
• Are there any specific issues related to the assessment of online work that do not apply in more traditional assessment of students' work?



I think we have some other tasks to do - as there is a bubble in the assessment box on line but I am not sure. I think this could be better organised as for this week the tasks are unclear and I have written on the sheet of paper in-front of me NO Structure.... and I am not good with no structure.


So I am going to consider the questions above, make a post and see where I go from there.

No comments:

Post a Comment