Thursday 16 June 2011

Reflections on week 1: what and who are my learners

This week has been very different from the first week on the previous course. For me it was much more relaxed as I knew my way around the vle which I suppose is a good reflection on getting our students to use the vle at the beginning of thier studies.
I have found it really useful to think about my learners and I think its also important to think about what I'd like to know about my learners. So dealing with each in turn:
What I know about my learners

  • Dedicated and enthusiastic at first but this disparates throughout the year with attendance dwindling off
  • Like to lean by traditional methods such as lectures
  • Majority are straight from school and have leant a specific method of learn i.e. teacher provides materials, not self sufficient learners
What I would like to know from my students:

  • How they think they best lean (the above are my preconceptions they may be wrong)
  • Whether they are capable of learning on-line in this way and if it benefits them
  • Whether on-line learning allows them to spend more time on learning
On the tasks we have been asked to complete I felt that there could have been so much more to do. I suppose that I like learning about these things and as with the other course I need to pace myself more and its come as a useful reminder not to overload my students with tasks. Perhaps a small amount is better.
I am looking forward to next week and getting stuck into activities.

No comments:

Post a Comment