Monday 13 June 2011

First tasks of the new course: What type are my learners?

The first tasks of this new course is to think about what type of learners are my students and how best do they learn. We have been given three tasks:
1. To post a note about ourselves in the context of how we teach and design for learning;
2. Take some quizzes and see if we like the type of questions being asked and whether we need to ask these questions of our students, and
3. To reflect upon our learners and note three things we know about our learners and three things we would like to know about our learners.

I find this a very useful and interesting topic. How often do we actually sit down and ask ourselves "ok, what type of learners are my law students", "how can I best fit my teaching to them". We may do when we first design our courses but after years of modifying and updating have we actually considered that student learning has moved on. Has the use of technology adapted the learning styles of students. I also think that we have some pre-conceived ideas of what our students are like. When I think of law students, I must admit I chuckle. They come to uni with the idea they are going to be the big shot lawyers that they see in films, they dress differently from other students in the uni. You can always tell a group of law students in the library - they are working and are dressed smartly with normally a very nice bag to hold their files in. I do not want them to lose this hope and desire as a law degree is a long old slog but I would like to fit their learning to who they are. I shall let you know how I get on with these tasks during the week. (hopefully I can hold off doing them all in one day!)
Any comments on learning styles greatly appreciated.

No comments:

Post a Comment