Monday 24 January 2011

Week 1- day 6 - task 2

It is a busy day today. My next task is to think about the following question:


This discussion is about the benefits of e-learning. What is your perspective? What do you get out of e-learning as a participant? (Or as a tutor?)
Here is what I came up with.
Perspective of the benefits of e-learning:

  • Because I cannot teach face to face I feel like I am not giving my 100% to the students by only teaching on-line. (How can I get round this?)
  • It is a good way to communicate a lot of material and for the students to learn at their own pace.
  • It is the way forward because of tuition fees and rising living costs, students can enrol full time and also work. Their studies can be fitted around their work.
  • It is a new way of teaching which could meet student resistance. (I want to counter this before it happens - how do you manage their expectations?)
  • I think students will like this way of teaching and learning. I am enjoying it and it is engaging me although it does test you.
  • I am worried though that students won't think it is value for money.



Benefits as a participant:

  • You can manage your own time and work at your own pace.
  • You can be anonymous if you want to as you can have a voice without being in a classroom situation. Therefore you can be more proactive than you normally would be.
  • There is a permanent record so you can revisit the material more than one unlike a seminar or lecture.
  • You can ask questions easily from your classmates through the interactive devices provided.
  • You have access to your tutor more easily than in a classroom/lecture/office hours scenario.
  • You can continue learning whilst you are doing other things.  

Benefits as a tutor:

  • You can teach anywhere and at any time with this technology.
  • You can put out a lot of materials from the students that is not constrained by time or money.
  • For me personally I can continue teaching and researching. 
  • You can be more creative with your teaching.
  • You give each element of your work a lot more thought than if you were just doing your normal routine. It is is easy to get lost in what you normally do, rather than to reflect and alter your teaching.

No comments:

Post a Comment