Wednesday 26 October 2011

How does Transformative education link to my subject

  • How does the model of transformative education relate to models you are already using as frames of reference?
The transformative approach to education is where students and teachers see their subject matter not only from their own viewpoint but also to consider the viewpoints of others who are different to them, racially, ethnically, economically, politically and gender-wise. I initially thought that law taught all of these things, that law was there to protect multicultural-ness in a diverse society. I am more at ease with the term multicultural rather than transformative education because it brings home the message clearer and has more impact. Although I still believe in an idealist way that law is there to protect society, all of society, we (law teachers) need to recognise multicultural and transformative education in a much more open and direct manner. I initially thought if you pushed it too hard the students would tune out of the lesson but instead I realise now that it is the whole point of law. To see the law and its application from different people’s views and perceptions is what transformative education is to me. It is as simple as discussing the implications for people from different racial backgrounds when arrested, when getting married, when applying for visa’s etc. For my subject money laundering and terrorist financing, multicultural education and transformative education is essential. I was naive in forgetting that other do not think as I do, that there is no different between people as we are all people. It is not that I did not realise there was a difference in treatment for different people but that it was not widely known and accepted. I am not sure I am still 100% clear on the issues but to understand that the students need to understand perceptions on the laws from other people is a good starting point. Working out how and detailing the curriculum will come. In Dennis’ paper I realised and understood the importance of having authentic assessment as a means of examining whether the students have understood as well as learnt. I was also happy to realise that the mixture of f-2-f teaching and online teaching/discussion allows for this as well as our oral and written examinations of the students.

2 comments:

  1. wow great blog but can you please share us some more details
    ACC 290 Week 5

    ReplyDelete
  2. I appear consideration it. I desire to catch included on this topic…I am appreciating enough efforts and success you put in your website,
    LAW 421 Week 4

    ReplyDelete