Monday 4 July 2011

Reflections week 3 - searching for positives

I must admit I didn't enjoy this week at all apart from working with such a good group of people. It began and ended with a sense of confusion for me. I just didn't 'get' the task we were asked to do. Thankfully my group helped me through this and we managed to work together and to produce something which I am rather proud of. However I am still unsure of the actually crux of the task. I read the instructions about 20 times and I still didn't grasp it. I am not a stupid person (I don't think) and I just struggled. I have learnt some valuable lessons though for on-line learning from the point of view of my students.
* Instructions must be clear and concise as to the task required
* No question is stupid and if one is thinking it then others will be too - therefore a tutor should be on hand to guide and reassure. (I presume tutors can see what is going on in the groups)
* Students must talk to each other - this is easier for us as tutors to do this - for students admitting they have no idea what is going on may not be easy - the tutor therefore must be sensitive to this and pick up on these comments via the discussion board
* on-line tutorials should not be scheduled for first thing the day after the release of the instruction on the vle - give students a chance to actually participate - 24 hours notice should be given

I felt lost and isolated on Monday and Tuesday until I spoke to my group. I must say I am rather disappointed and disengaged by the whole task. I see the importance of learning design and activities but I did not see the context of it. For me as a lecturer who was wanting to see how to prepare online courses I feel I have not learnt things which will be of use to me. Perhaps those who have a clearer teaching and learning background will have. I felt like giving up this week but after talking to the voice of reason at home I have decided to stay and see the course out. Hopefully this week I will have a clearer idea of what is going on and I am trying to take the positives out of the last week.

No comments:

Post a Comment